Carrot and Pineapple Muffins with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting.
June 13th, 2011
These muffins are my partner’s birthday cake every year and have always been a hit.
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups self raising flour (or plain flour with 4 teaspoons of baking powder added)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup apple sauce
- 440 gram tin of crushed pineapple drained of all juice (about 2/3 cup of pulp)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar (apple cider or white) to curdle it
- 2 1/2 cups grated carrot (about 2 large carrots)
- 2/3 cup walnuts
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup dairy free margarine
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
Note that this recipe can also be made as a cake, just bake for 90 minutes instead of 35 minutes.
Turn the oven on to 180C / 350F.
Combine the flour and spices. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Spoon the batter into a muffin tin.
Bake for 35 minutes.
While the muffins are baking combine all the ingredients for the frosting and beat with an electric mixer or a whisk until the frosting is completely smooth. Refrigerate until the muffins are cool.